Do you ever feel lost in a maze with your thoughts? You can’t focus on one thing? You can’t think of anything positive? That one negative thought has turned from a mole hill into a mountain and you just can’t get passed it?
This Stinking Thinking pattern is not uncommon so you’re not alone.
One good thing is this: you can learn to take control of your stinking thinking and renew your mind to a more positive outlook.
Thoughts influence every area of your life, everything you do starts with a thought and the person you become will all be down to your thought life. So, if you are in a rut of Stinking Thinking then your words and actions will reflect these thoughts, which can lead to stress, anxiety and depression.
How can you beat Stinking Thinking?
Here are 5 steps:
1. Be more self-aware. The most difficult part is being aware of the negative thoughts before they take over, admit when it is negative and irrational so you can do something about it.
2. Write a gratitude list. Start with at least 5 things you are grateful for and put this somewhere you can see daily to remind yourself of all the positive things in your life.
3. Be active. If you spend too much time sitting around thinking then these negative thoughts will take hold and make it more difficult for you to be active. Do something simple like listen to upbeat music, read a book, go for a walk or write a blog.
4. Talk face to face. Seek out a positive friend or mentor. Speaking out these thoughts and getting them from our head to actually hearing it can put things into perspective. Talk it over with your friend and decide if this is negative irrational thinking that needs to be stamped out.
5. Practice, Practice, Practice. If you have had a lifetime of negative thinking then don’t expect the pattern to change overnight. The more you practice these steps the easier it will become to beat the Stinking Thinking.